Jan Cox (1919-1980)
“De weelde van vrouwen en paarden voor Rubens, Antwerpen 1977”
- rechtsonderaan getekend
- rechtsonderaan gedateerd (19)77
- linksonderaan genummerd XVI/XX
- blad 76 x 56
- niet ingelijst / los blad
- in goede staat
- In 1945 Jan Cox he was a founding member of the ‘Jeune Peinture Belge’ group. By the end of that decade he was briefly associated the CoBrA movement, publishing some of his art in the CoBrA magazine.
- In 1950 he moved to New York. After a brief stay in Rome, he returned to the United States in 1956, becoming head of the Painting Department at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts.
- In 1974 he returned to Belgium, to live in Antwerp, and devote himself exclusively to painting.
- Jan Cox was psychically hyper-sensitive and suffered from recurrent depression throughout his life, eventually leading to his suicide, in Antwerp, in 1980.
- He is buried in the Schoonselhof Cemetery in Antwerp.